Masala Dal Spice Kit
Included in the kit: Printed instructions, Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Garam Masala, Curry Leaves. 15 g (Net)
Store in cool, dry conditions
Ingredients are originally from Various EU countries, India, Indonesia, Thailand, China, Madagascar
This masala dal has a rich spicy flavour and is a good source of protein and fibre. This tasty masala dish goes just as well with hot chapattis or naan bread as it does with plain boiled rice.
This Masala Dal curry spice kit cooked with lentils his masala dal has a rich spicy flavour and is a good source of protein and fibre.
This what else you need to make your Masala Dal curry spice kit!
500g split lentils (washed), 1½ tsp salt, 1 large onion, finely chopped, 3 tbsp oil, 4 garlic cloves, peeled, 20g ginger, peeled, water, 400g tinned chopped tomatoes, 1-2 green chillies (optional), 30g butter, juice of ½ lemon, handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Add the contents of Spice Bag A and 1 tsp of salt to a pan of boiling water. Add the lentils and simmer until cooked, drain and set aside.
- Gently fry the onions with the oil in a pan over a medium heat until softened but not coloured.
- Make a paste with the garlic, ginger and a little water in a blender. Add to the pan together with the chopped tomatoes and chillies (if using them) and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the contents of Spice Bag B, mix well and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the cook lentils to the masala, ½ tsp salt and stir well and cook for 10 minutes on a low to medium heat. Stir in the butter, lemon juice and coriander leaves and serve.
About Masala Dal
This masala dal has a rich spicy flavour and is a good source of protein and fibre. This tasty masala dish goes just as well with hot chapattis or naan bread as it does with plain boiled rice. There are 6 individual dried spices in this dish which makes a perfect side dish not only to a main curry dish but is also delicious with a salad, some flat bread or naan bread. The recipe is vegetarian but adding an alternative to the butter which is recommended, this dish can easily be vegan friendly.