A pakora is a classic Indian finger food that no one can resist, and these tasty vegetable pakoras are so simple to make, just follow the steps in the recipe below.
Ingredients for your Pakoras
• 125g gram flour
• 25g rice flour
• ½ tsp red chilli powder
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp chopped green chilli
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 100g onions, finely sliced
• 6-8 spinach leaves, finely chopped
• handful fresh coriander leaves
• sunflower oil, for deep frying
- Sift the gram flour and the self-raising flour into a bowl. Add the chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric and cumin powders and stir well to combine.
- Add the lemon juice, then gradually add enough water to form a smooth batter that is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the sunflower oil to the batter mixture and mix well to coat the onions. If the batter has thickened, add a little more water to achieve the consistency from step 2.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it.
- When the oil is hot, carefully lower a tablespoon of the batter mixture for each pakora into the oil and fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the pakoras are crisp and golden-brown. Fry only 2 or 3 pakoras at one time to ensure the oil remains hot. Serve immediately.